Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday Scoop - Traveling

We are heading to Nashville in just a few days!!  I've been pondering what to bring along for our long car trip.  Here are a few ideas.

Magnetic letters (or numbers, animals, any kind of magnets) on a cookie sheet allow for exploration while keeping everything "stuck" and close at hand.  You could also put magnets on the back of puzzle pieces (I usually buy a long roll, so I can cut the magnets in whatever length needed).  It also doubles as a lap desk for writing and drawing (we always have paper and colored pencils with us, too!).


A bag of pipe cleaners can be twisted into all kinds of creations (Thanks for that idea, L.M.!).


A geoboard or a simple board you've pounded nails into can be used with rubber bands to make designs.

11 x 11 Pin Geoboard

Lacing cards that you've made yourself or purchased can be "sewn" while you are driving.

Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Farm

A few of my favorite purchased items are any sticker books from Usborne.  The girls especially like the Sticker Dolly Dressing Books.  I should disclose that I am actually a consultant for Usborne Books, but I really do think they have top notch books.  I haven't been very active with it lately, but I still have a website!

Usborne also offers a leaning pallette and wrap-ups for learning basic alphabet/reading skills and math skills.  These are good for traveling as well. 

We also enjoy Highlights Hidden Pictures Sticker Fun magazines.

Highlights Hidden Pictures Sticker Fun (v. 1)

We usually take along a few big books with lots of stories in them.  Our favorite is the 20th Century Children's Book Treasury. 

The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud

Do you have any suggestions?!!  I would love to try some new ideas this week!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home