Sunday, April 11, 2010

Preschool Bibles and Devotionals

I read a fascinating book called The Heart of Wisdom by Robin Sampson that challenged me to spend more time in the Scriptures with my children.  While we reflect and talk about the Bible throughout the day, we have specific time in the morning to read and study the Scriptures.  I wanted to share a few of those resources with you.  I also wanted to direct you to A Spirited Mind.  She has a wonderful listing of preschool Bibles and Devotionals.

Read Aloud Bible Stories: Vol. 3Read Aloud Bible Stories: Vol. 4Read Aloud Bible Stories: Volume 1Read Aloud Bible Stories: Vol. 2The girls love Read Aloud Bible Stories by Ella K. Lindvall.  There are four volumes.  I read about them in Mommy, Teach Me! by Barbara Curtis.  When we first got them, I actually wasn't that excited.  Then, I remembered I was viewing them from my own adult perspective.  Here is what Mrs. Curtis has to say about the books:  "The familiar stories are told with complete and utter simplicity with the perfect amount of repetition and rhythm to catch the attention of even the most distractible little one.  The pictures are so gracious in their simplicity, you get the feeling you are a child looking at the scenes yourself.  And the most amazing thing--Jesus is never shown from the front, so the emphasis is completely focused on what Jesus said and did." (Mommy, Teach Me! by
Barbara Curtis).






The Narrated Bible in Chronological Order (NIV)I read a daily portion of the Bible out loud from The Narrated Bible.  This Bible is presented in chronological order with narration guiding you from passage to passage.  It is broken into 365 daily readings.  I allow the girls to play quietly on the floor or look through the pictures in their Bibles while I am reading.





The Memory Verse Bible StorybookWe use The Memory Verse Bible Storybook as a guide for Scripture memory.  It contains 60 stories and memory verses to accompany the stories.  It is a great simple overview of Bible history and the teachings of Jesus.  I also like how it gives ideas to help you and your children memorize each verse.






Window On The World (pb)
I want my children to learn from the earliest of ages that the world is a big place.  I want them to experience different cultures and countries.  I also want them to pray for people everywhere, so we use the book Window on the World.  Much of the book is still too hard for them to grasp, but I like to share with them the pictures, basic information about the countries and people, and ways we can pray for them.




Do you have a favorite Bible or devotional resource for preschoolers?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home