Monday, August 22, 2011

Book Basket: My Great Aunt Arizona

Just so you know what's coming up (since I'm not starting the new posting schedule until September), I'll be sharing two of my favorite back-to-school books, a simple name activity, and a Saturday Savings post this week!

My Great-Aunt Arizona

I recently picked up the book My Great Aunt Arizona because of a recommendation in Sarah Clarkson's Read for the Heart, and I have to tell you, I adore this book.

It is a beautifully-written and illustrated story about a tiny girl named Arizona and her life journey.  She loves books and dreams of adventure and traveling the world, but life doesn't allow her the opportunity.  Instead, she becomes a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse and spends 57 years of her life inspiring her young pupils to love learning and dream big.  I still haven't been able to read to the end without crying (my daughter has to read the last pages, because I get so choked up)!

This book would make a wonderful gift for a teacher, but it's also a delightful book to read to your child and explore the themes of passion, sacrifice, and love. 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther Asbury said...

One of our favorite library books!

August 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Stacie said...

Isn't it absolutely precious?!!

How have you been, btw?!!

August 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home