Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Letter Writing: Your Name is Special

As we go through the year, I've decided to combine themes (when I can) with my oldest daughter's curriculum and our preschool themes.  I'm hoping to make things a little easier for myself!  We're focusing on names this week, and there was a beautiful idea I wanted to share with you. 

You need:
Pen
Paper

1)  Write a letter to your child explaining the meaning of her name.  Tell her why you chose her name.  Let her know what she means to you and your family.  Read it to your child.  Then, make a copy and place the original in a safe place (your child will probably love to carry the letter around and share it).

I was so blessed by this activity.  It's such a small thing to do, but it communicates a great deal to your child.  My girls just glowed after I shared the letters with them!  I truly hope you'll take the time to give this activity a try!



abc button

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Hi Stacie, This is such a thoughtful idea - and something for them to cherish as they grow up. Thanks for stopping by NurtureStore too - I wondered if you might like to come and share an idea with us in our Friday Play Academy link-up? Cathy :)

September 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Deborah said...

What a very sweet idea!

September 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

What a nice idea. People put so much thought into choosing their children's names, and then I think a lot of it is forgotten as the years go by and the children just "own" their names. It is nice to remember and share what motivated the choice to begin with.

September 7, 2010 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

A very sweet idea and also important to take time to record! When I taught middle school, I gave a name assignment in which students were asked to write about their name - it might include how they got it or how they felt about it, but each story was special!

September 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home