Friday, September 10, 2010

Apple Pie Tree

The Apple Pie TreeWe read The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall.  It's a great book to introduce the growth cycle of an apple tree.  Of course, you should be prepared to make apple pie when you finish!  It includes a tasty recipe in the back of the book.

We extended the book by making our own version of an apple pie tree.  Just be prepared -- it was a messy experience!!



1)  Pour a thin layer of brown paint into a shallow container.  Help your child put one foot in the paint and step near the bottom of the blue paper.  Set aside to dry.

2)  Step into the container of water to rinse away the paint.

3)  Paint a treetop.  Allow to dry.

4)  Add red circle stickers (or use a small lid or Q-tip dipped in red paint) for apples.

Rinsing away the paint and cleaning our feet actually led my daughter to the idea of washing each other's feet "just like Jesus did."  I hadn't even thought about a spiritual tie-in, but she found it!

preschool corner         


Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I am going to use it next weekend when my grandson comes for a stay (18 months old) This should be an adventure :-)
I planning on taking him apple picking so this will tie in nicely.
Again Thank you!
Cindy

September 11, 2010 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Mandie said...

Cute!!!

September 11, 2010 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

So cute! Great idea using the circle stickers for apples!

September 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a cute project!

I would love it if you linked to stART

http://www.amommysadventures.com/2010/09/start-chicka-chicka-123.html

we did an apple tree this week too, but with handprints :0)

September 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

This is so cute! I love the foot print tree trunk!

September 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very interesting! We made a hand print tree, but I'm not sure I would have thought of a footprint.

September 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger RedTedArt said...

Oh wow! I never thought a footprint would make such fabulous tree trunk. If Red Ted saw this, he would be begging me to have a go!! Love it!

Maggy
PS Link up to this week's Kids Get Crafty? http://www.redtedart.com/2010/09/15/kids-craft-the-mona-lisa/

September 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Brimful Curiosities said...

The foot makes a neat crooked trunk! Adorable.

September 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can see little footprints all over my house. Neat idea!

September 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home