Monday, July 25, 2011

Guest Post: Our Favorite "Transportation" Books for Preschoolers

Once again, I'm so excited to bring you a post from my friend, Terri!  She has compiled a wonderful list of "transportation" books.  Be thankful, because if I wrote about transportation books....you'd probably get something with a pink car!  :)

(At least we do have one of these books!)

Guest Post from Terri:

As I mentioned in my first post, my four-year-old son’s favorite thing in the world is anything with wheels: cars, trucks, trains, etc.  His next great love is books.  When those two come together, I have one excited little boy.  Here are a few of our favorite books about things that go.

 Truckery Rhymes (Jon Scieszka's Trucktown)

Trucks:  Truckery Rhymes by Jon Scieszka

We have enjoyed all of Jon Scieszka’s “Trucktown” books, but this is the best of the bunch!  Scieszka adapts classic songs and nursery rhymes to feature the Trucktown gang, and the result is fun and giggles for everyone. 

If I Built a Car

Cars: If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen

This imaginative book has amazing illustrations and rhyming text that make it a natural read-aloud.  If little boys could design cars, they would certainly be like the one in this book. 


I Stink!

Garbage Trucks:  I Stink by Kate and Jim McMullen

Boys (and girls) will love the expressive vocabulary and cheeky attitude of this book’s garbage truck narrator.  The truck even gobbles up a garbage alphabet for some educational grossness.  This one is requested again and again.

Pete & Pillar: The Big Rain

Big Machines:  Pete and Pillar and the Big Rain by Jeffery Stoddard

My son loves this book because it’s about a truck and bulldozer.  I love it because it’s a really great story about true friendship, based on John 15:13.  We are both happy to pull this one off the shelf. 

The Little Engine That Could

Trains:  The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper and Loren Long

We have many books about trains, but this re-illustrated classic is one of the best.  Watty Piper’s original text is paired with bright and engaging illustrations by Loren Long to create a book that is nostalgic for me and enjoyable for my son.

We are always looking for new great books about cars and trucks and trains.  What are some of your favorites?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home