Monday, January 24, 2011

Kansas Day Lapbook for Kids

Image:A sunflower Edited 5134.png

I know many of my readers are not from Kansas, but Kansas is a very special state to me (and it's almost Kansas Day)!!  So, in honor of Kansas' 150th birthday on January 29th, I've put together a special lapbook all about Kansas! 

I found several of the printables at the Kansas Historical Society.  I also put together a Kansas symbols book, acrostic, and song sheet on my own (I'm pretty excited about it, because I finally figured out how to upload PDF files so you can print them)! 

If you're from another state, you can easily adapt this idea and find some printables for your own lapbook!

Supplies
File folder
Glue
Scissors
Crayons/colored pencils
Sunflower seeds
Construction paper
Sunflower
Kansas capitol printable (page 1)
Kansas symbols, acrostic, song page

1)  To make a lapbook, fold a file folder as pictured above (there are many ways to make a lapbook--you can find more information at Homeschool Share).

2)  Color the Kansas Flag and glue it to the front of the folder.  Allow to dry, and then cut down the middle to separate the sides.

 
3)  Color and cut out the sunflower.  Add a blue background, stem, and sunflower seeds (if desired).

3)  Fill out the Kansas symbols book (you can find the complete list here -- some preschoolers may feel more comfortable coloring the book found here -- rather than drawing their own symbols).  Write an acrostic for Kansas and cut out the state song!  Glue on the inner flaps of the lapbook. 


This is our almost-complete lapbook!  We still have some room up in the left-hand corner, so after we make bread, I'll put a photo from that experience!  On the back, we glued the capitol!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger S Club Mama said...

we just moved to KS so I may need this sometime :D

January 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Welcome to a great place!! We love it here!

January 24, 2011 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger April said...

I am not from Kansas, but I am doing a Kansas study with my daughter right now. I didn't even know it was Kansas day. Thanks! I made my daughter a printable Home on the Range book.

January 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger April said...

Just wanted to let you know that I linked up to you in this post:

http://apgacruz.blogspot.com/2011/01/kansas-state-song-home-on-range.html

January 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home