Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tactile Alphabet Cards/Name Rubbing

I picked up a set of alphabet flashcards at a garage sale for a quarter a few years ago.  I've had them in the closet, so I thought this activity would be perfect for them.  If you don't have sandpaper or other tactile letter cards yet, this is an easy way to make some.

You need:
A set of alphabet flashcards or
Index cards with the alphabet printed on them
Glue gun
Paper
Crayons

1)  Make a set of alphabet letters on index cards (or use an old set of flashcards).

2.  Trace the letters with the glue gun.  Allow to dry and harden.  I didn't try, but I'm sure you could use school glue.  It will just take a lot longer to dry!

3.  Place the letters of the name you're spelling under a sheet of paper.  Rub with an unwrapped crayon to make a nameprint!


Another quick-and-easy idea for the tactile cards is to trace the letter and make the letter's sound at the same time (great for "imprinting" the letter on the brain!).  Do you have any other ideas?!! 

abc button

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew & Terri said...

That is so fun! I don't have a glue gun, so I'd have to give the school glue thing a try...or borrow a glue gun! Thanks for the cool idea.

July 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Andrew & Terri said...

I was thinking about this while I was at Hobby Lobby the other night, and I found raised letter stickers! I just made a set of cards in about 5 minutes using these and index cards cut in half. We just made some swirly crayons from bits of old ones, so I think they will be fun for rubbing!

July 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger The Activity Mom said...

Love this! Great idea!

July 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger 4torock said...

OOOO- I say a teacher do this one year and dont know WHY I didnt remember it for my kiddos!! THANK YOU for the reminder and WHAT a GReat idea and thing to do with boring Ol flashcards!!! U ROCK!

October 8, 2010 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home